Tuesday, September 21, 2010

World of Warcraft...Stereotype

World of Warcraft. An MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game). People view this game as a waste of time and money, Its a game played by eleven million people around the world. I've asked some people about what they think of WoW, and they immediately think of the south park episode, that was centered around the game. It showed the stereotype I'm about to talk about. The typical stereotype is that ALL WoW players are stinky,old,fat guys,  who live in their mother's basement. But I am doing this cultural analysis to prove these people wrong.

WoW player's don't all live in basements. Most of us have lives and live in our own homes and go out with friends. The people I play with in WoW are all lively and successful in their lives. For example, I play with a music teacher who lives in Alabama with her husband. They are a happy couple and they are close friends of mine. They go out and have fun with their family and friends like "normal" people do.

The typical stereotype of warcraft players is nearly non-existent. Most WoW players have families and friends we're not all loners and we just like other people, we're human not some other kind of species. Most have jobs and live on their own home and pay for their own bill. I on the other hand can't live on my own yet, seeing as im only sixteen years old and have no job. But in time I'll be able to live on my own hopefully still playing the game I love and prove all those people who thinks that WoW players are a bunch of no lives who live with their mother.



http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968991096&sid=1&pageNo=1

3 comments:

Edwin L said...

Agree Arnold. You for one are not a fat guy sitting in a basement. Im sure that there are some people like that, but i believe most people who play mmorpgs are like any other everyday people.

Christopher H. (Stephirrocxh the Datacrow) said...

I agree with you, just because you play some video game on line doesn't mean that it is your entire life. Most of the people who do just play it all day long have a problem. Most of the time people just automaticly assume that you are someone that have no life just because you play some video game.

Shana B said...

While I was bored over the summer I ended up playing the free trail of World of Warcraft. I realized that it really is a fun game. There are a few people who become so addicted that they turn into the classic basement nerds but for the most part that is just a stereotype and it shouldn’t be applied to all wow players. While I was playing wow I got to know a lot of people. One guy is known as a jock at his school so he keeps his playing wow a secret. People shouldn’t have to hide that they like wow because they are afraid that people will judge them for it.