Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Gamers go Classic

In the Article from New York Times in China Town, New York, kids go to underground arcades. It isn't the recent games like Terminator Salvation or Time Crisis 4, it is all the "old school" games that go back as far as the 80's. There are many different games that are in the arcade in Chinatown but the games fall into a categories by gametype: Fighting, Shooter, Dancing, and classics. Some people are so accustomed to this gaming that they have it as a job. Just like soccer, football and any other sport people cheer on a certain team.  Many also come to enjoy the classical old games like PAC- man or street fighter and maybe even tetris. In my opinion, I do not think that they should EVER get rid of the classics. The reason I believe that it should be kept alive is that it is a part of history, part of adults and kids lives. If you take out a piece of history then our kids kids would never know the begining of gaming or how street fighter 4 became street fighter 4.

6 comments:

Vivian P. said...

The only video games I know are "classic" games. I remember as a four year old playing streetfighter and frogger on my sister's playstation. The thing that triggers my memory though is when the word, "CAPCOM" reveals onto the screen. I agree that those games should never be diminished or taken away. Even today I usually only play the latest Streetfighter and Mario Party.

XalexD said...

The classics are good but there still old. Its time for the new generation for video games. I used to play the classics as a kid but the gaming industry has grown, and so have i. I think that it is time for the classics to move over, but other than that, nice blog.

Amanda P. said...

This article is extremely refreshing. It makes me think about when we had the arcade classics on the Nintendo 64. We use to sit up all night playing games like Pac-Man, Galaga, and even Pole Position. How could you even think of turning your back on the retro games we all grew up to love? New video games just can't replace the old school games that were simple and addictive. It's just unheard of and if you can, then how could you call yourself a gamer? Mingle me this if you will.

Joshua Finley said...

I sure would love to see some of the "classic" games get refurbished. Have total overhauls on all the games while also getting some cool 8-bit games also. I sure do love newer games like Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor, and Mafia 2. I would like new older games if you get what I mean.

Michael G. said...

I agree that the classic games should be kept alive. They were the first games and revolutionized gaming as we know it. If they take these games out, we will lose a part of ourselves. these games are the building blocks of all video games and should never be forgoten.

Francis D. said...

"The old school games WILL NEVER DIE" This quote is one of the things I think of when it comes to old classics. I will confess and say i still do enjoy old games from Halo 1 to Space Invader. The whole gamer thing did start out with the old 8-bit games, this is a good thing to hear about people around the world still playing 8-bits. O-('.')-O