Monday, May 23, 2011

WHS Car Show

For my third volunteer experience I decided to do something that actually associated with one of my classes, it was to help at the 8th annual Washington High School Car Show. Every year for the last seven years Washington has put on a car show in the senior parking lot. Some people may wonder how it is a volunteer experience in the first place since car shows raise money but this one is different. Instead of money we raise canned food and give it to an organization when its all over.
My job at this event was to help set up the stage and the awnings for the individual stations. After all of this stuff was done and set up I was able to enjoy the different stations and win some of the stuff that was being given away. However i still had to watch the cars to make sure no one messed with them and pick up garbage during the whole thing, being a worker. Then at the end of it all i also had to help take everything down and put it away, which was easier than putting it up.

3 comments:

Hossna H. (SuPeRGiRL) said...

That sounds like a great and fun experience. I am glad you decided to help out with something that had to do with our school. I always wanted to go to the car show, but never really had the chance, maybe next year. It seems like you and the others helping with the show had big responsibilities, even though it might not seem that big, it was really helpful for you to help set everything up and keep an eye on peoples property so nobody vandalizes them. And its really cool you didnt just stay for the show, you did the work and also made a difference for hungry people to raise them canned food. Nice Job, keep it up.

Nick K. said...

It sounds like you had a good time at the car show, and you got the project done at the same time. I didn't know that our car donated canned food instead of getting money for it, which I think is a good idea. I didn't even know there were different stations to go to, but I guess the car show that is at lunch the day before is different than the one on the weekend.

Massee K. said...

I like that you did something school related and still enjoyed it. Although looking after the cars doesn't sound like much, it was probably one of the most important jobs as you prevented anyone from messing them up. I also didn't know the car show had a canned food drive, but that's what I get for only going during lunch the day before.