Friday, May 6, 2011

Familiar Faces

Finally, after a long struggle to be able to come to the rehabilitation center again, Chris and I were able to make it to the location together. For me it wasn't that different then before. Same employees, same patients, same routine. Of course, we started off washing our hands and then sang after that. I noticed many families within many rooms as we passed by. I think this is because Mother's day was coming up and some people didn't have time to visit on the actual day. We didn't have to sing in as many rooms this time because some families wanted "alone" time. This we respected. I felt happy that so many people had a loving family that would come to them. I began to pity those that weren't as fortunate. It felt good helping the "forgotten" people feel remembered. My mom would tell me stories about how some of the patients didn't have families. I was happy knowing that what we did could substitute for that, even though we weren't really family. Later, after we finished singing in the rooms, we walked down the hall to the cafeteria. There, many families were helping their elderly loved ones to eat. Our group quickly went in and plugged in the CD player. Soon, many people were dancing. It was fun watching the people interact with each other. No one was forgotten and I felt this sense of friendship between all the people.

No comments: