Monday, May 23, 2011

Precious Dental Care



I’m doing my internship and volunteer hours at a dental office. The thing that made me feel better was that I wasn’t the only one doing my internship there. I go there every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday after school from 3-6 and on Saturdays from 8-5. It’s a good experience I’ve learned new things. The first time I went in I was at the put at the front desk, pulling out, and filing back patients charts. They also made me look at the whole weeks schedule and look at every single patient that came in for an appointment that week. By doing that I had to figure out if we “build” [made money] of that patient. As the days went on my experience became better because every day I learned and did something different. I swear I don’t think I ever put on so many gloves in my life, I felt bad because I felt that I was just wasting the gloves. But it was okay because the staff members told me that it was to be done, that for every patient new gloves had to be worn. Soon I was in the back: cleaning and setting up the trays, sterilizing [cleaning] the instruments, transmitting the x-rays into the computer, and finally assisting the dentist with cleaning [suction]. The first time I was going to assist I was nervous because I didn’t have any experience with that. Now I’m use to it, and it’s what I like to do the most. This is an opportunity I didn’t think would happen, but I’m glad that I’m helping in some way or another in making people’s teeth better.

4 comments:

Hossna H. (SuPeRGiRL) said...

I think it's really cool you are helping people at the dentist office. My mom is a dental assistant and i think it's a pretty cool job. And starting off slow is kind of boring, but it is also good to watch and learn from others. I also have to wear a lot of gloves at OHS and I feel the same way about wasting gloves, we even have to wear gloves when doing the laundry. I really think it is awesome that you are getting to do more work and help out more. It gets a lot funner and better experienced when we actually get to help people out. Keep it up.

Taylor L. said...

It is amazing that you worked at Precious Dental Care. That is the same dentist that i go to. You seem to be getting a lot of great experience working with all of the staff there. They are a very nice group of people. It would have been nice to see some pictures or drawings of what you experienced there. You should also mention about how many patients you worked on and more details about the first time they allowed you to participate in teeth cleaning. It is nice that you are committed to an internship at the dentist office. It is cool that you can find out if you want to persue a job in this field by just volunteering. I have found a career that i might want to follow by doing my volunteer work too with childeren at an easter egg hunt.

Kate H. said...

It is crazy that you are doing an internship there! I know I still hate the dentist. It's crazy how much you can learn from am internship if you are willing too. And you have learned a lot! And it's great you are enjoying yourself because yes you are making peoples teeth better! It's great when you come across something that you can learn from and enjoy. That's why I love the outdoors. There are always new experiences waiting to surface. Well keep up the good work cuz you're going far in life!

Joshua C. said...

That is so cool Norma! That is like a real job, which made me think would you want to do that in the future? I like your little outfit in the photo too with gloves and scrubs. That is really sepctacular that you got to actually work with the technology instead of just being put straight to paperwork everyday. Great job Norma!