Thursday, May 19, 2011

That one pile of dirt that never makes it into the dust pan.

Today I went to Tri- City Volunteer Center. I definitely had a good time but I was super embarrassed. I had the chance to meet some people when I gave them their food. Some people where very picky, others were very courteous and thankful. I felt so bad when we didn't have something they needed. I tried my best to talk to them and tell them to have a good day. One guy asked me, "So what did you do to get in here?" I said it was for school. He asked because most of the people are there for court ordered offenses. He said he ran a red light so he had to go. I felt bad because he needed apple juice for his baby but we didn't have any so Casey brought him some baby yogurt. We hoped that would be okay.
I had to mop and that was a challenge because I have mopped with one of those yellow buckets with the squeezer. The boss of the place came over and started to show me how to use it. He said I put too much soap on the floor. But I didn't know how! He was telling me I should wear sneakers and not flip flops. I definitely didn't know that was a rule. That guy left and another volunteer walked over and he TRIED to show me how to mop TOO. I was so frustrated and embarrassed! I asked Angela to take over so I started sweeping for her. Leo and I were getting angry with the dust pan because it was broken and the dirt kept missing the pan. We finally just started sweeping out of the door because we didn't know what else to do.
Overall today was super fun, but I was very mad with the mean boss. He made me feel stupid and he started to have attitude with me! I was sorry I never mopped before!!! That is my story!!

3 comments:

britney S. said...

That really does seem like a fustrating day at the Tri-City Volunteer center. it seems like the work there is like a just being a maid but overall helpful. I like how you had to switch and not mop becuase you didnt kno how but, I understand that situation its always hard to use something youve never done before. Seems like that place is a nice place to volunteer though and has lots of different things you can do all the time.

Erica Moen said...

The day you had sounds tiring. It must have been frustrating dealing
with something you didn't know how to use. I can relate to that
experience in many ways. However I think your lucky to be able to
experiene what it was like to actually see the person being helped. In
my experience I only packed potatoes for the homeless but never saw
ther reaction. Never the less if it was a good reaction or bad one,
I'd still like to see if they were thankful or not. I didn't know you
had to wear real shoes there either. Luckly when I went I had vans,
and they didn't say anything to me so atleast that's good. But I envy
you for seeing what it was like to help those people.

*Norma L.* said...

im sorry you didnt know how to mop but im sure you will learn soon. i hope that over all you had a good time helping people and giving them food. and just like the guy i think i might go do my hours there for court,i also got a ticket. when i went there i also had the chance to go out and help the people put the bags of food in their car, its nice intercating with them. also like you said some people dont like some of the stuff that is given and just dont take it. even though it was tiring and you think you made a fool of your self, im sure it was for a good cost. good job.