Monday, May 23, 2011

Tri-City Volunteer #4

As this project is coming to an end, I have learned a lot from my experience working at the Tri City Volunteer center. I learned to not take the stuff I have for granted, because there is a bunch of people out here in our community that are less fortunate, and need the stuff we get that we can care less about.

To wrap up the reaching for equity project, I once again returned to Tri City Volunteer. Today I was expecting to do the same task I've been assigned to do for the past 4 days of working here, and that's exactly what I did. Although this time, I wasnt lost and I knew what to do and when to do it without being told what to do. I had to take initiative! After entering the facility, I signed in and put on the neon green vest with the name tag that says "VOLUNTEER" I immediately went to the potato/onion bagging table and began bagging. I'm not even sure how many potatoes/onions I bagged, I just kept going - bagging and tossing it behind me into a huge barrel. After that, I realized that the work space was extremely messy, So I decided to clean up a bit. I grabbed a broom and dust pan and cleaned as much as I could. After that, I was getting pretty bored with what I was doing, so I decided to deliver food to the people who are in need of it. I would push out carts of food loaded with, juice, bread, fruits and vegetables out to the front of the facility and give it to the people who demanded it. Did that for a while until the volunteer center closed.

And that's how I helped out my community :)

1 comment:

Karandeep S. said...

I felt the same way as i volunteered at a soup kitchen. We throw away so much food and now that i realize that there are alot of people that need the food. We need to realize that our necesitites are just wasting a limited supply of sources. We need to save and preserve sources for the ones who need it the most!