Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Here we go again.

Due to a busy schedule (MVALs) and a bit off slacking off, this third post is really late (I'M SORRY MR. SPECKELS). So for my third day of volunteering, me and Patricia went to...you should guess by now. TRI-CITY VOLUNTEERS. Whatta surprise. I guess the reason why a lot of people go there (as you can tell) is because you can just show up, and they give you an automatic job; and because there are super easy tasks. So when we showed up there, we went straight to signing in and putting on our lovely neon vests. We saw Casey and Leo there when we were looking for tasks to do. When we saw that there wasn't really much to do, we decided to go to the thrift store; but some lady led us back to the food bank and made us pack potatoes. Patricia, Casey, and I started packing potatoes for about 10 minutes while Leo was doing something else. Once we were done with our bags, we went looking for more things to do since we were so bored, and another volunteer told us to put different kinds of foods in baskets/carts so we can distribute them to the needy. I thought, "Finally! Something different!". They have these little slips of paper they give to us naming the things that the person/family wants; we put them in the basket and give them to the person who's waiting outside. We put canned foods, vegetables, dessert, bread, etc. When I first gave a cart to a lady, it was nice to see her reaction of getting food. Doing this for a while, I noticed that a lot of people were picky about their food! There was big cake in one of the carts, so Patricia and I went and gave it to this one guy, but he refused! "Shoot, if he don't want it, I'll take it!", we said jokingly. We do this for the rest of the day, and I have to say, this was finally the job I was looking for: reaching out into the community. Today was accomplishing because I didn't have to pack things the whole time I was there; I actually GOT OUT and helped part of the community and got the satisfaction of helping others.

Even though it was a good experience today, I'm getting tired of going to the same place every time I volunteer. I hope to find another place, maybe a school or organization, that not only focuses on the homeless and the needy, but the whole community.

2 comments:

Brooke E. said...

SERIOUSLY. I don't want to go back! They are super mean to me!! Whatever though, its like a job and I have to like it. I still had fun with you today. I THANK you for taking over mopping. I was about ready to dump that soap over and give up. It was like pulling teeth for me. Sweeping, ITS MY THANG.

Joshua C. said...

I am glad to see I was not the only one getting bored of Tri City. There is nothing to do there since everyone is volunteering there. I am glad to see though that you're going to try finding something else. Hopefully that goes well and your not stuck bagging food again! Good post Angela, and I love your apology.