Friday, May 20, 2011

Smiles mean alot

On Saturday, Chris and I went to the the center again. A lot of people were busy that weekend so there were only a few people volunteering. Chris and I didn't have the usual barriers that could shield us. My mom handed us a booklet with song lyrics and forced us to sing. We sang in low monotone voices so that they were masked by the singing of the adults. After singing in the hall, we followed routine and turned left into the hallway with the individual rooms. We didn't have to go in many because there were private family visits going on. Once in a while, they would let us in and the families would listen to us, too.We continued down the hall ways and entered every room that welcomed us. I remember going into one room with a lady lying on her bed. She looked so pale and fragile. I noticed pictures on the wall. There were many pictures of a beautiful woman in her 20s in long flowing dresses dancing. My mom told me that the girl in the pictures was the lady in the bed, 50 years later. We sang her 2 songs, one in English and one in Chinese because she wanted to hear a Chinese song. After, the sides of her mouth seemed to crack as she began to smile and tell us each individually how thankful she was to us. Soon we finished singing in the rooms. We went down the hall way all the way to the cafeteria. The rest of the volunteers were in the back walking very slowly so Chris and I went to the piano right outside the cafeteria. I started playing the beginning of my favorite song "Wedding Dress" by taeyang. Some people heard and asked me to play more, but sadly, the beginning was all i knew and i didn't really know how to play the piano. Soon after we finished our rounds, and we left. I have no idea if i will return to this establishment in the future but i'm sure if i do return, ill bring smiles to many people's faces.

2 comments:

Jennifer M. said...

Making seniors smile is one of the best ways you can volunteer. Singing for the elderly is even better. Senior citizens love to see the youth of our society helping out the community in a way that teens would normally ignore. You do not usually see teens voluntarily singing to senior citizens and I'm sure you are greatly appreciated. Bringing smiles to people makes a big impact on their day.

Genesis M. said...

That was such a sweet way to volunteer, Edwin! I think something so simple as singing is a really good way to brighten up someone's day. Everything I sing sounds so spectacular in the shower but not so much everywhere else. If I were you, I would've been way out of my comfort zone. It's nice to see you were able to put that aside though and sing for them. It's true what Jennifer said, that senior citizens love things like this. A vast number of them think young people are some kind of thugs or something. Keep giving us a good look!