Friday, May 6, 2011

Coaching

Over spring break, me and Sean decided to try helping a little league team out. I had asked some old coaches if they were still coaching and if they needed some help and some responded but not too many were still doing it. Finally, I talked to an old little league coach named Rob who said he was still coaching a team and he would let me and Sean come out and help. We went to help out on the last Saturday of spring break, at Mattos Elementary, home of Centerville American Little League.

When we got there, we introduced ourselves and pretty much got started right away. We were there for about two hours and we were relatively busy the whole time. It started out by us getting all the equipment out while the team was stretching and running. When they were done, we stood by the coaches who were hitting ground balls and fly balls to them and we caught the balls as they came in. When it was time to bat, we stood in the field and got balls that came to us. The environment was pretty relaxed, we didn't have too many exciting moments which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you see it. I would want to go back and help out again but I still have to work it out with Sean and the coaches.

3 comments:

Erica Moen said...

I think it's really great to work out with little kids. In my experience we got to help little kids out with an easter egg hunt. I think that its so inspiring to help out little kids that don't really know what there doing. So helping fish out the balls in feild so they can get more practice in is good. Who knows? They might have a career in that sport one day.

John N. said...

I think its so cool that you guys got to do something that was actually fun. You got to do something you enjoyed. On the contrary I didnt enjoy my experience much... But its inspires me taht you guys get to help these kids. Keep up the good work.

Genesis M. said...

I'm with John.. I wasn't necessarily gung ho about Tri-City either but volunteering felt good. It's all community service at the end of the day and helps people, whether its the hungry or some little kids. It's nice to see you enjoyed coaching them. My little brother plays baseball (Rockhounds all day)and I know he really enjoys it, like those kids probably do too. I'm not necessarily a sports person, I prefer to watch more than play but I know kids really like playing, getting better, and socializing too. So I think that you and Sean volunteering to help them out is cool. And since I see you got the connections with your old coaches, keep it up Nicky!