Sunday, May 22, 2011

Roses? For Me?

I went back with Jennifer to the Tri City Volunteers for our last time. This time wasnt as interesting because we just cleaned. They didnt have much for us to do this time because supposedly this volunteer crew came in and did everything there was to do. First the lady had me clean windows while Jennifer vacuumed. I dont like vacuuming so im glad she did that part. Then we waited around some more until they had us clean this desk. This desk was very dirty. There was like goo stuff caked on the surface. Its okay though, i had a scrubbing tool! The sponge smelt really bad. I think it was the water and solution stuff we had to use. Anyways when we were done with that the lady told Jennifer to sweep and our other friend, Monica, to mop. Fun. At this point the cleaning was all done so i was able to go out and five the baskets of food to the cars. I actually enjoyed this because well, im obviously not into cleaning. I took the little piece of paper with the number on it and found the person outside. I helped them put the food into their cars. The people were so nice! They all thought i was so nice for helping them load the bags into the trunk. Some people asked me if there were cetain kinds of bread or pizza or cakes. I felt bad when they didnt get the 'goodies' they wanted because it was like you take what you can get. I would hate that if i couldnt get what i absolutely wanted. Im glad i can get cake or pizza if i want too. So that made me feel bad when i couldnt give them what they wanted. At least these people were getting help and getting food here. After about five cars, it was time for us to leave. Before we left we were able to pick out roses for free! This was cool. I picked out red ones for my mom. They were in really good shape. After all the cleaning and helping people we left and i can say i had fun volunteering at places for our final project.

4 comments:

Ryan W. said...

I think that one of the things that we may not notice when volunteering is something you pointed out. That we are very fortunate to have almost everything we need. As you said, "I would hate that if I couldn't get what I absolutely wanted". Going out and volunteering really opens our eyes up to the poverty in our community. Many people don't have the chance to even get three meals a day, and that is why it is important to go out and help as many people as we can.

Angela A said...

Helping out at the Tri City Volunteer really makes you do hands on jobs.They give any kind of job to keep your self occupied, and cleaning up the place was what I had to do too! Distributing the food out to people actually proves the point of why you're there, and it was good hearing that you had a nice experience handing out food to them. And you're right, it feels bad seeing people really wanting a certain, and you can't do anything because they get what they get. Other than that, it was cool that they gave out free roses; they didn't do that when I was there!

*Norma L.* said...

at tri city they do make you do a little bit of everything, either its cleaning, packing potatoes or onions, cleaning,preparing the carts, vacuming, or going outside to give out the food. every experience is different but it does make you realize how the economy is bad and how thanks to places like tri city does help out people in need. and its sad how some people ask for things, unfortunately not everyone gets what they want. and lucky you got roses, i went ther maybe two or three time and i never got any =[. but oh well i guess you deserved it, you did a good job. hope your mom liked them.

Joshua C. said...

I think Tri City is running out of jobs for everyone to do. I haven't heard of someone cleaning the whole time, so your the first! It's good that you weren't super bored doing it and at least you got the place clean. It must have been nice to see the people you were helping. Overall great post Victoria!