Friday, May 6, 2011

Time to Work at the Register

As the time krept closer to writing this blog, I had to figure out a place to volunteer for a few hours since I was unable to be with Kate one evening. I decided to call one of my friends to help me get some hours in and luckily, she has been volunteering at this thrift in Irvington. So, she said I could tag along. which, I happened to do after school today. We drove right over to the store and drove to the backside of the store. I thought this area was kinda sketchy but, then again I have never been here before so I would'nt really know much about it. I was nervous to get out of the car, I honestly didn't know what to expect. Though, I had to get out of the car. We walked through the doors into the shop where I was greeted by a short Asian lady with a clipboard. She welcomed me and told me that I could stay and help. All I had to do was be in the backroom and sort clothes that people donated the days before. It was quite easy but, the bags were in these big yellow wooden bins which was hard for me to pick up the bags of clothes because well, I'm short. I managed, and opened the first bag and started folding. A few minutes later the lady checked up on me and asked if I was doing alright. Of course I answered with a "yes" though I was thinking "these clothes need to be washed about 20 more times" but, that would be rude. She let me continue. As I was folding I realized that some of the clothes were damaged and nobody would ever buy it so I didn't really know what to do till another volunteer said that the green wooden bin was for clothes that weren't "sell worthy". By this time I was sort of bored and wanted to actually I don't know, be more involved with he store. So I asked the Asian lady with the clipboard if they needed help. Luckily she said I could work at the crash register with another volunteer. It was actually really fun and I liked having a small conversation here and there with a customer. By this time, it was 530 and time to go and so we left. Yet, before we were to leave and let the other volunteers take over I wanted to know the head lady's name since I couldn't see her name tag the entire time. Her name was Kim. I thanked her and left. So my volunteer opportunity was quite fun and a good experience.

3 comments:

Kyle "Mr." Floyd said...

I'm glad you got to work up front at the register. That's one thing that I loved about mine and Deep's experience this time -- we got to interact with the people we were helping out. I think that makes it so much more satisfying, to see the effects of your work, and it's something that it seems a lot of people aren't getting to do. Plus, meeting new people is always nice. Glad you had fun.

Sierra B. said...

I think you volunteering at a thrift store is a really good oppurtunity. Thrift strides are great especially since they are so cheap, so some people can actually afford things they might need. Though I definitely understand how it could get boring, and you are probably right about the clothes needing to washed about twenty more times. Working at the cash register is fun so at least you had some fun and a good experience.

Kate H. said...

Good for you Brit! I'm glad you got to experience something else as well. And I'm glad you were able to work the cash register. It is fun to have those mini conversations with people just stopping by. You will come across those times where you just need to figure something out and get it done. I'm happy you were able to get another volunteer. And even happier you learned more things :D!