Friday, May 6, 2011

Gardening at American Day 3











Edward was the only one there when I arrived at eight. I looked around and noticed that all of the weeds we had gotten rid of grew back over the break. Edward was near a giant storage container and he seemed to be staring at something. I walked over to see what he was looking at and I was shocked to see that there was a skunk. It was moving some twigs in front of a hole which allowed it to go underneath the storage container. When it saw us it rushed back into the hole and it never came out again. Julian arrived and opened up the gardening tool shed. Soon after two more people showed up. The teacher was supposed to bring the weed whacker but she wasn’t going to be there for a while; so we decided to harvest some of the plants from the garden. I found one small plant coming out of the ground and when I started to take it out I noticed that there was some orange underneath. I was so excited to take it out but when I did the carrot was smaller than my thumb. It was really funny and a bit sad. We found some more carrots and each time we took one out it turned out to be bigger than the last. We got to eat the plants while we worked so Jordan showed me what parts of each plant were the best. Jordan is the gardening clubs expert eater; she is a vegan so she knows all ways to cook vegetables so that they are yummy. She gave me a piece of green onion; it had more flavor than the ones bought in the store. For my next job I had to shovel manure into a wheel burro. I wasn’t too excited about it but I did it without complaint. I brought the burro over to them and we put it into the garden. There was a hole next to the garden box and a gopher popped it head out. It was really cute, even though it was eating our garden, we didn’t mind so much and we gave it some cabbage. Then we watered all of the plants. I was in charge of watering “strawberry hill.” The teacher arrived and gave us the weed whackers. Julian taught me how to set them up. The teacher went into her classroom to do some work. The program is mainly student ran. They write the grants, advertise, assemble, and create projects on or own, which is really impressive. The rest of the time I got rid of weeds and replanted tomatoes. I was there for 4hours and that entire time didn’t feel like work at all. We joked and talked most of the time, it was soooo much fun. I will definetly continue doing it next year.


No comments: