Monday, May 9, 2011

Fresh Out of the Oven

Friday was my third time going to the Tri-City Volunteer Center. This might be my last time since it was kind of boring. I went right after school with my friend Joden Ulep from American High School. First, we went into the office and my friend filled out his papers because he was a first-timer. Normally, there are a lot of people there, but this time it was so "dead". There was almost nobody there volunteering except for the man that was in charge of the pantry (John). Aside from us two there were three other people. At first, we were bagging toilet paper. It was two rolls per bag. After we ran out of bags, we went to push carts out for the people who were waiting for their food. There were no more slips so we went to bag breads. There were all types of breads: brown, raisin, onion, French, sourdough, etc. We were told to just put any type of breads in there, as much as we could fit. We had to "break the bread" in order to fit it in the bag. A lot of the breads were really hard and stale. Some breads, I had to twist with all my might! My arms got really tired. And some of the breads smelled really bad, but some smelt really good! They even had breads bigger than my head! I didn't have a picture this time because I had no camera or phone with me. At the end, we swept up and cleaned the tables.

No comments: