Friday, May 20, 2011

Help One Another

A time like no other, it was. I volunteered again as a tutor for elementary kids. This time it was different because I met the smartest little boy I’ve ever met. Usually people ask for help when they need it, but this little boy just wanted to learn more.  He asked me all sorts of question like, “Why is there pollution?”, “why are humans the only animal capable of making technology?” and so on. It was interesting that a little boy wanted to know so much. What surprised me was that he knew his multiplication table all the way to 16 by memory  and he’s only nine. I was like “Wow ,and  I barely know mine up till twelve”.

            Anyway being a tutor is so awesome because you get to interact with others that want to learn and being able to help just stains my heart with glee.  This past few volunteering days were awesome and I look forward to doing it again. It makes my day seeing the little kids smiling after I’ve helped them. When  I was little no wanted to help me, not only does it make my day after I’ve helped them but it also makes me want to cry because I was able to do what no one ever wanted to do for me. If anyone ever ask for help from you say “I’ll do what it takes to help you” because what if one day you need help and no one wants to help you because you said no to them, what do you do then?

                                               

3 comments:

Casey N. said...

You're a really brave one to go tutor elementary kids. It never appealed to me to tutor younger kids because I assumed they would fuss and have bad attitudes because of my previous tutoring experiences. Sometimes they don't want to listen and do the work because they can be very lazy to learn. I guess every experience is different though. After listening to your experience I would definitely be up to trying to tutor kids. One bad experience may make somebody lose their interesting in it but hearing this makes me want to give it another try!

Angela A said...

After reading this post (and Casey's comment), I'm now interested in tutoring! I always kind of avoided going back to elementary schools to go and help little kids because they can be such a hassle. Reading your experience actually makes me want to go and help little kids, because as you said, there might be no one helping them. It's absolutely great that you volunteered to make up the fact that you didn't have as much help back then like these kids. You felt there pain, and you were in their shoes one time in life. Good job!

*Norma L.* said...

its amazing how some little kids are intrested and ask some questions that even adults dont know. wow that must have been one smart little kid, and just like you i also just know mine up to twelve. i admire that you are helping children in anything you can, since you didnt have the opportunity that others would help you. toturing is a nice experince because you get to go back and help kids that are going to be the future in this community. nice work.