Thursday, May 19, 2011

"I'll Get Close but I'll Never Hit You!"

For my third time volunteering, I decided to go to Tri-City again with Angela. On our way there, I already expected for the both of us to do something we've done before. However, when we got there, we were given jobs that we haven't done before. We got there and we're told to bag potatoes. It wasn't bad but counting twelve potatoes and bagging them gets boring after a while. When we got done, a fellow volunteer told us to help load food into shopping carts. These carts included sliced bread, canned goods, potatoes (the ones that we bagged), desserts, and pasta. After loading these carts, one of us would take a name card and take a cart with us to give to the person that is on the name card. The first time that I walked out to deliver a cart, I was approached by an elderly Asian man and he asked me about his cart. I somewhat panicked because I didn't know what to tell him since it was my first time doing this job. But not too long after that, we were able to give him his cart and everything turned out okay. At one point, when we were putting desserts into the carts, we noticed that the desserts they gave out were very delicious. One of them was a giant vanilla cake and man, that cake went through an adventure!

So here's how the cake went through adventures. We put the cake in one cart along with the rest of the food and I had the honor to take it out to an elderly woman. When I was unloading the food into her car, she stopped me and began to take out certain things out and left the rest in the cart. The cake was up next to be put in the car and as I was about to put in the woman's car, she stopped me. At first, I thought she wanted something else but I realized that she really didn't want it. She kept saying, "Too much fat, too much fat" and I knew that they were probably on a healthy diet and eating a giant cake wouldn't be a good idea. I brought the cake back inside and I told everyone how she didn't want the cake and we all joked that if nobody wanted it, we'd take it! But it wasn't too long until someone else took the cake and they're most definitely going to enjoy it!

At one point when I was loading carts, one of the people in charge was driving this giant truck thing in the center and almost hit me. Or at least I thought he did (haha). He stopped and said, "Don't worry I won't hit you! I'll get close but I'll never hit you!" It made me laugh because he seemed to have a sense of humor and I didn't see that side of him the past couple of times that I volunteered. After almost two hours of loading and taking out carts to the needy, it was time to sign out. Overall, third time's the charm. We had new jobs to do and it was definitely better than the past jobs we've had to do. Good times, good times!

2 comments:

Nick K. said...

Unlike my experience volunteering, I think it's good that you were able to go to the same place multiple times because then you can sort of fall into a routine of what to do. It sounds like you have a different experience every time you go too. You can tell that you are helping people out every time you go and are able to meet new people every time.

Massee K. said...

I always thought that everyone who went to Tri City did the same thing every time. I guess I was wrong. I like that you guys got to do something different and that you personally helped others. It also helps that the people that work there seem to have a sense of humor so that it isn't dull and plain.