Monday, May 23, 2011

Finally.

Last Thursday, I forgot to talk about my last day of volunteering, so this is making up for it. For my last day, me and the crew went back to Tri-City Volunteer (again). By this point, I was just like, "Whatever, it's the last day, why not just end it over here". So Leo, Patricia, and I got a ride from Casey, met up with Brooke at the parking lot, and went to work. We entered the building, signed in, put on our snazzy vests, and went straight to doing the job task we left off from the previous day. We began putting different foods into carts and baskets, and whenever a slip came from the office, we distributed the food to the people outside. Even though it was the second day doing this job, I felt used to it. We did this for 10 minutes, when Stephanie (the lady from my first day) came in and gave us new jobs. She wanted us to sweep (exciting!) and then mop the floor so the place would be clean. Patricia, Leo, and I went sweepin' on, while Brooke followed Stephanie to get mop things. While sweeping the dirty floor, the radio was blastin' and this one song that went, "JAM ON IT, JAM ON IT". And of course, Patricia was singing along to it, totally messing up the lyrics, when the guy who ran the place was like, "BONUS POINTS IF YOU KNOW WHO SINGS THIS!"...none of us knew, we aren't that old. Apparently some group called, "Newcleus" sang it, and yes, I'm listening to it right now while typing this. Well, we continued sweeping; I swept from the door, all the way almost to the thrift store room. While sweeping there, Brooke was having some technical difficulties (nah, she was just tired), and asked me to take over; and 5 minutes of doing it, it wiped me out too. Who knew that mopping was so tiring?! (I give props to the janitors). What was really messed up though, was that after I mopped a certain spot, some kid who was carrying eggs dropped one and it splattered all over the floor. "Gee thanks, man", I thought. I mopped up the spot and after doing it for a while, a kind volunteer that was working with us told me he would take over (GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL), and so I went back to distributing food. But after a while, there weren't any slips coming from the office, and I noticed that Leo and Patricia were doing another job; so I joined them in packing lunches which consisted of two sandwiches, a bag of crackers, a milk pouch, and a donut. We did for the remainder of the day; the clock striked 4:15 and we began to sign out, when a whole bunch of slips came coming through! We were about to leave, but turned back and thought, "We need to go back, they need help" and proceeded to distribute food until the last costumer was satisfied. The guy in charge thanked us for staying late and asked if we were returning; we were planning to, but unfortunately, we couldn't the next day. I felt kind of bad, but I remembered that we could always drop in. I thought that the last day was really productive; it ended on a good note that the "boss" wanted us to return. Even though I didn't find another organization to volunteer at, I'm used to working at that place and I don't mind the jobs they put us in; just as long as I'm enjoying it and giving back to the community.

1 comment:

Edwin L said...

Hey Angela! i'm sure you did a very good job mopping and cleaning the place. It may not seem like much, but a cleaner environment leads to much more happy people. I know that if i cleaned a floor, and a kid dropped an egg on it, i would be pretty mad. Its nice that your boss wants you to work again. You should do it if you have the time.