Tuesday, May 24, 2011

OHS Part 4

the snake from a while ago that crawled through the fence.
    The last time I went to OHS was really fun. I was in charge of more than before. I saw how big and different the animals get. Tessa and Ally, that was the girls name i kept forgetting, came in after me. When I signed in, Angela told me to take care of the house finch from last time. It was in a bigger cage this time, and another house finch from last time joined it. I found out later the new bird wasn't new, it was the one inside the warm machine. The warm machine thing is where they put baby and sick animals and it's like temperatured. It took a while for me to feed them, the small one wouldn't open it's mouth and the bigger one wouldn't stop. It was the same thing with the crows from last time.
     Speaking of the crows from last time, i heard the smaller one didn't make it, I got sad after I heard that. Tessa and I went to the fly cages were the bigger crow was moved to. When Tessa was trying to feed the bird, she had to use a ladder that was already there to get up to where the crow was. I tried to feed it some little pieces of whatever was in the bowl, but it was having a hard time swallowing them. We thought it was to big for the crow so we just stuck with feeding it meal worms.
     Speaking of meal worms, Tessa fed it the last worm in the bowl, and asked me to get some more. Great, huh? So i went, and used the big spoon looking thing they use to take out the sand from the smaller meal worms, but it doesn't work for the bigger worms because they are in oatmeal. So i had to find another way to get them out. Ally told me to use tweezers and im like "ay". So i did, and filled the bowl with about ten or something and headed back to the crows cage. After giving Tessa the worms, I headed back to where the birds were because it was their time to eat again. Another 10-15 minutes trying to feed them, then i checked off their sheet marking that they have been feed. I also was told to clean their cage. And maaann, the poop alot, it's small poop, but it's a loottt. I picked the birds out of their cage and put them in a little basket that closed. I changed the news paper, and refilled their water. I put the grapes on a stick back where it was and replaced the birds.
     After that, Tessa asked me and Ally to help make the opposums food. We read the sheet and had some trouble figuring out what some of the stuff were. Angela helped us out. We got canned dog food, some fruit, this type of fish, and a mouse. The mouse was still frozen so Angela said to put it in later. We put the food and water in their cage and put on some gloves so we could put the opposums in  it too. They were really small, and kinda cute.. but not their tales, those looked kinda ...ok. My dad walked in to pick me up, and told him to wait a second. We each put in one opposum in the cage by their tail. It wasn't that hard, but they would let go of the towel, so one help the opposum while someone else tried to pull the towel away. I think the day went well.  I said bye, signed out and left.

1 comment:

Kate H. said...

It sounds like you've learned a lot throughout this experience which is awesome! I know what you mean, it's hard to get past the fact that one of the animals you were taking care of didn't make it. But that's nature, the fit survive. I think that this experience will help you in the future and I know you have grown from it. So great job girlie. I think you've learned a lot :)!