Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Near-Death Experience at the Tri-City


On Thursday, May 19th, Brooke, Patricia, Angela, Leo, and I went to the Tri-City Volunteer Center again. This place is getting really tiring! When we first got there, Patricia, Leo, and Angela filled up the carts with the amount of food needed while Brooke and I ran it out to the people who were waiting. The people waiting outside were so nice! After about 20 minutes I decided to go into the office area to help file cards because there were no more carts to run. My job in the office was to ask for each person's ID and try to find it in the filing cabinet. It's a lot of hard work especially since there are thousands and thousands of cards in there and a lot of people have the same names, or different addresses as the one listed on their ID! Plus, it's really hot and stuffy in the office. One woman, whom I was helping, got really mad at me, however. I was trying to find her mom's card because she was picking it up for her mom. She was really impatient and irrational. She rushed me and so I ended up just writing her a new card, but she got even more mad because she "had other things to do" and "had to go". After I finished her card, I gave Leo her slip to run out a cart of food for her. He came back and said she was rude too, it was quite ridiculous and I was extremely happy when she left! After that, I was trying to work fast because there were a lot of people waiting. When I opened the top drawer of the filing cabinet, it fell on me! Well, almost! I caught it, but it was really heavy and scary because the clock and other stuff on top had fallen off and I thought I lost one of the client or customer’s driver’s license. It was a "near-death experience". I love working in the office and pushing carts out because I get to see people and talk to them. A lot of them are really nice and it’s so cute when they finally get their food. I love assisting others and while maybe this isn't the best place to go, it works for now! It makes me feel like a much better person when I'm helping out my community. Although this place gets tiring, I would definitely come back to this place.

4 comments:

Ryan W. said...

I think that it's great to help out the community anyway you can even though some things are not always enjoyable. Especially when certain things make you very frustrated, as I'm guessing that is how the lady made you feel. Some people don't appreciate that we are just trying helping out. I know that sometimes we may not seem like the most dedicated volunteers, but that doesn't mean others should be rude and disrespectful. Yet, there are always going to be people like that in life and it is our job to learn how to tolerate them, no matter how much they piss us off.

Hossna H. (SuPeRGiRL) said...

It is really cool that you were helping out at Tri-City, and I like how it isn't bagging potatoes because i get a little tired of reading those. I like how you are really enthusiastic and talk to the people you help. I like to talk to the animals at OHS even though I'm not really allowed, it's kind of hard. It also seems like the cards thing was a lot of work. Thinking of that many people and looking through files and files trying to find the right one. I think it would take me half an hour for a couple people. Looking for library books isn't that easy for me.
It sucks when people are rude too, especially when you are trying to help them. But i really think it was cool how you were calm and helped her anyways. Helping people out is always a great experience and i'm glad to read you would go back.

Taylor L. said...

The tri-city volunteer center is very hectic. People do not ever stop moving. You're experience sounds crazy. I can not believe that you were helping that lady out and she was being so rude to you. You got to experience the ups and downs of people that take place at the center. I worked at the tri-city volunteer center as well but my experience was not that bad. I only packed potatoes for two hours. You seem to know your way around the tri-city volunteer center pretty well and it is amazing that you help out with feeding all of the less fortunate people that need your help.

Erica Moen said...

The Tri-City volunteer center can be a bit unorganized at times. It's kind of sad when you're trying to help someone out in life, and they just act rude. It's sad when they're so rushed that they forget that they're being helped by people. It's really depressing. But luckily I believe because you helped them out, at first they will seem mean. But later on they will realize and probably feel bad for being rude to you. Or at least I can hope so. In my experience, I just packed potatoes. I didn't get to do anything with actually handing out the food. Which I really wish I could have seen.