Saturday, May 7, 2011

OHS Work Time


**Correction from my last post: Poochie is half dove and half pigeon**
My second time at the OHS Center went really well. I did more stuff, and helped out with the animals. Angela was there since I went the first Saturday of spring break. One girl from last time, don't remember her name, was there and David too. We talked more, and he's pretty cool and funny. When I walked in, Angela asked me to clean Poochies cage, and since last time I was there, I saw how it is done. The girl from last time walked in before I could start and we worked together.

Poochie, the blind dove and pigeon was put in a box while we went outside from the other door to her cage. Its a pretty big cage. Before we could get to Poochies though, we had to go through a rooster or chickens. I'm not sure what it was, but it was huge, with claws. The girl I was with went through, and I washed it from the inside, while she washed from the outside. We washed out all her poop, mats and towels. After sanitizing her cage and refreshing her food and water, we put Poochie back in. She seemed happy, but i don't speak bird so I'm not sure.

There wasn't much we did that day. After Poochies cage was clean, Angela told us to read a board with a bunch of papers on it, and told us we have to take another test. I was thinking "nooooooo", it would probably be an easy test, but still, I would rather be helping the little animals or something. The girl and I were reading the board and David joined us. He was messing around with the white board and we started laughing. We asked him if there was really going to be another test, and he said no.

After another thirty minutes my dad came, and we left. It was fun that day. It was easy, except the part when we forgot how to set up Poochies cage, and also trying to get past the rooster. I signed up for Wednesday too before I left. I was really happy I had a chance to work with one of the animals, and was really looking to coming back to help.

2 comments:

Jennifer M. said...

Poochie is such a cute name and all the little animals sound so cute. Helping abandoned animals and curing them makes a big difference in their life. Volunteering to help preserve the wildlife contributes to a healthy environment. I am so glad people are looking into this cause because those innocent little animals need us. Even though cleaning bird cages is not the most fun thing someone can do, it is really helps the animals. We all deserve a clean and happy life, so why not give them one.

Victoria C. said...

POOCHIE. Amazing name. I was also amazed that the bird was half dove and half pigeon, arent they usually just one breed? Its cool that you took your time to clean a bird cage. I've done that before and it is not fun. I bet it smelt really bad too. Even though it probably smelt bad and stuff you still liked it and its nice that you helped blind poochie feel all clean again.