Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Unexpected FUN

My second time at The Tri-City Volunteer Center I went with my three of my friends including our favorite long lost classmate, The one and only Javier Saavedra. As we got there I was hoping I get a new job to do besides sweeping the floor or bagging onions but I know there is anything else better to do than that. Once we got into the work room We signed in, Grabbed a Neon yellow vest, a name tag and a pair of latex gloves. As I look up I see Alencio and Zena bagging onions. I ask John, one of the main instructors, what can I do. He walked me outside and told be to flatten cardboard. For about 20 mins I flattened at least 70 boxes and threw them in to a large box. I was getting tired of flattening boxes its was pretty boring and I was getting a little tired. Right as I grabbed a box a bee flew out of no where. I jumped back in shock and hurried back in to the work room. If you guys didn't know I am EXTREMELY allergic to bee stings. :( I could DIE if I got stung.

As I ran back in, I shouted to John that their is a bee outside and I told him about how allergic I am to bee stings. I asked him if I could bag onions because I am pretty fast at it. He said yes and I headed over to Alencio and Zena to help them. Once I got to the table I had the best idea to go through a lot of onion sacks fast and efficiently. I told Zena and Alencio to bag the onions and I would tie them. As fast as my idea went we got through 3 bags in 10 minutes. We had no more onions in any of the sacks so we had to go into the freezer to get a couple more sacks.

Alencio, Zena and I walk to the freezer and opened the door that had a latch that looked like if you got locked in you would be LOCKED IN. We walked in and went about 3 meters away from the door. As the room got darker by the second I blinked and the room was PITCH BLACK. The only thing I heard was footsteps, Screaming from Zena, and the banging on the door from Alencio. I ran to the door and started banging and I finally saw that the door nob was glow in the dark for a reason. We had just got in to a near-death experience.We eventually open the door and brang back 2 sacks. Within the next 10 minutes we finished the backs and the day was done.
Ohhh how I love doing community service now.

3 comments:

Ryan W. said...

It seems from reading a lot of the posts by our classmates that doing community service starts out boring, but then ends up being fun. I know from previous volunteering that after doing one job for a while it can get really dull, even though you know it is for a good cause. The problem with volunteering is that we are doing the work that most people do not want to do. But after completing a job it is awesome to feel that sense of pride that you have been a big help to someone who is less fortunate than you are. Even though my volunteering is not completely for the benefit of people, I know that I am helping out many different species of animals and plants in our cities. While sometimes it may seem useless work, in the end it is a big contribution to our community.

Victoria C. said...

From what everyone else is posting abou the Tri-City volunteer place i think im going to go check it out. I worked at the enior center twice now and its getting sort of old and boring. I wanna try something knew. You and others from american studies seem to have a fun time, wether its bagging potatoes, onions, bread or chicken patties. Its a good thing that doing something helpful for our community is also fun at the same time. Oh, and im glad you didnt get stung by the bee.

Massee K. said...

Does everyone just bag onions or potatoes at Tri City? I'm glad you did something other than that, and it sounds like you had a "different" experience than everyone else. Even if it meant flattening boxes and almost getting locked in a freezer. Oh, and I like how you got Javi to go with you guys.