Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Back To Kindergarten

                      
     So…For my volunteer work, I was ready to work at Big Brothers Big Sisters. I already had my interview done and everything. It’s taking them a while to respond to tell me who my match is so instead, I just looked for different volunteer opportunities. It’s actually harder than I thought. I went on volunteer match, like Mr. Speckles showed us, and I found a lot of things I can help out with. A lot of them were actually not as close to where I lived than I thought.  There were two that I was really looking forward to helping out at, but they were in San Francisco, and I don’t really have that great transportation. So after hours and hours of searching, I decided to do my first Reaching for Equity in my little brothers class. 

     I decided to just help my little brother’s teachers after school. Unfortunately, I couldn't actually work with kindergarteners, but I had a chance to look at all their work and remember all the things I used to do when I was their age. I used to help them a lot before, but just kind of stopped.


     When I went in, Mrs. Correia and Stroschein greeted me, and called me "Muddasir's sister". I thought it was kind of funny, but I walked in anyway, and they put me straight to work. First I had to file all the little kids work. It was pretty easy, except for reading their names. I forgot how hard it was to read kindergarteners hand writing. After that, Mrs. Stroschein asked me to put away the "book checks" and see who turned in their books. When I was finished with that, Mrs. Correia asked me to clean the tables. There was, I think five tables, and it took forever to wash off all the marker and glue. I had to spray, then scrub, and dry, and wipe. That took me almost half an hour. After that, I put away the Friday Folders, and helped them make next weeks homework. I had a pretty good time.

    I know I didn't really do much, but I did help some people and I guess that counts. I really like my little brother’s teachers because they are so kind and funny. I think it was also, sort of a bonding time with them. The work I did to help the teachers was really easy, except for washing the tables…That took forever, and really made my arm sore; but it wasn’t bad. But hopefully the next thing I can volunteer for will reach out more to the community. I did have a great time, and wouldn't mind dropping in to help again.

4 comments:

Angela A said...

Hossna, I thought it was really sweet of you going back to your old elementary school and helping out your brother's teacher. Yeah, reading kindergartener's handwriting is challenging, and scrubbing their desks is even more time consuming. But it was nice to go back and have "bonding time" with them. It makes me think that I should go back to my old school and see if they need any help. Good job!

Edwin L said...

I remember back when i was in elementary, my hand writing was horrible. must have taken you a really long time to read them all. i don't think i would be able to stand reading them all. i also remember that i would make a really big mess when we did projects and such. its good that you could use your patience to help clean up after them.

*Norma L.* said...

Hey Hossna it was nice of you to go help out the little kids. reading the childrens names is tough, and they are also messy but atleast you went and helped them clean. im pretty sure the your brother's teacher is thankful for your time volunterng and helping her do some simple things that maybe she wounldn't had time to do. although you helped in a classroom, i think maybe next time you should go out and do something more interactive with the community. good job though

Joshua C. said...

That is so sweet that you went back to your elementary school. You got to give back to the school that taught you a lot of knowledge. I agree with Edwin that the kid's handwriting must have been terrible so it did probably take a long time haha. I'm sure the teachers were really grateful that they actually had some time off from filing paper work and stuff. Great job!