Monday, April 4, 2011

Fire!

For my volunteering experience, it was something rather different than everyone else's. I wasn't helping the needy, like giving food or cleaning up the earth. Instead I was at my local fire station, helping those men and women who serve us daily out. I usually go down to Station Seven in Fremont on Mondays, where we train kids ages from fourteen to twenty one for their future in firefighting. When I got there, the firefighters got a medical call. I went on with them, and we went on scene. We got to the patient, and I helped bring medical supplies to him. I helped administer oxygen, to help him breathe. Later, we got him onto a stretcher, and sent him to the hospital. Now it doesn't seem like much, but on a fire scene it's much different. These men and women go into a burning house, often with at least thirty pounds of gear with them. They have to drag a charged hose about two inches thick while crawling, avoiding the intensive heat. They are pretty exhausted when the finish fighting the fire, and afterwards they have to tear down some of the house, and re-rack up all the hose. A simple house fire is usually a one to two hour job. With the kids we train there, we help make this be a half hour to a hour job. Not only does this voluneering experience make me feel good inside, but it makes me work hard. It is something I am interested in doing in the future, so it puts my name out in the public, with a good reputation.

4 comments:

Erica Moen said...

I didn't want to do something that everyone else was doing either. So in my experience we helped out an art show in Palo Alto. My experience wasn't nearly as exciting. All we had to do was sit there and make sure people don't poke the art work. Your experience sounded much more exciting and easier to get too. It's really interesting how you got to watch something you're interested in doing in the future. What's interesting about your volunteer work is that it's beneficial to you as well. You're basically job shadowing the heroes of Fremont and interested in following in there footsteps.

Angela A said...

Volunteering at the local fire station seems intense! I think it's pretty cool how you guys go out and save people's lives in a daily basis. Unfortunately, my volunteering experience wasn't as exciting as yours. Describing how much a fireman has to do their daily job looks like a lot of hard work. And it's also great how you want to do this hard work so you can go far in the future as a great fireman. Keep up the good work!

Edwin L said...

I really wish i could so something like this. Firefighting seems very interesting. i volunteered at a rehabilitation home and sang so we both are helping people. its cool that you're working to become a firefighter in the future. I greatly respect you for helping that man. i would probably to scared to go into a burning building.

Massee K. said...

I like that you did something interesting and didn't go to Tri City like almost everyone else did. Firefighting seems like hard work, but it also sounds exciting. I also like how this is much more than volunteering to you and is more like a job training course or something.