Monday, April 11, 2011

International Food Festival

The International Food Festival at the senior center was a big success. There was over 140 people who brought dishes from around the world for everyone to enjoy. Victoria and I made it just in time to help out with this festival. The dining room was overwhelming with good smells and happy people. It got a little stuffy in the room because of all the people there, but we made the best of it. Everyone was so nice and they were very respectful of one another. There was music playing from all different kinds of genres and it set a good mood. Deborah Lay was the lady in charge of the festival and she helped us serve the seniors. She was super nice and was very thankful that we were helping out. There were not very many volunteers there so Victoria and I got many appreciative smiles and thank yous. When the festival ended, we mainly helped take down decorations. There was so many things on the wall like posters of the names of countries, and flags from all over the world. They taped them to the walls so they can take them down and reuse them for next time. They hung some of the decorations on the ceiling so they gave us a ladder to get them. I got the things that were higher and Victoria got the things hanging lower. After everything was taken down it was back to normal for the senior center. There were some ladies there who were painting and they were so good. They were so inspiring, and I was like dang! They got talent. I need to step up my game. I don't think they spoke English so when we complimented them they just kind of stared at us. We just walked away, awkward. Anyways our last task was to alphabetize their library which took forever. Deborah wanted us to take out all the romance novels, which was kind of weird because there was so many. I don't think I have ever seen so many romance novels in one bookcase before. It was not the most fun I have ever had but I didn't care. They were all very nice and thanked us so many times. So our next volunteering experience it will probably be somewhere else. Somewhere more interesting.

1 comment:

Angela A said...

A food festival at this place is a good way to bring different cultures together, and to help out and work in it like you and Victoria did must of been great! Working at the senior center can be a little iffy at times but these kinds of events make time there worth it. People who work there seem like really nice people! I may even consider helping out there someday; it looks like a place where I would be exposed to new things.