Monday, April 18, 2011

OHS

Ducks' cage I cleaned.
      Sooo... On Saturday, April 16, I wen to volunteer at the Ohlone Humane Society Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. It's a non profit organization that takes in orphaned or injured wild life, and helps them get better and prepare to go back to the wild. The week before I went to an orientation here and had to learn about the organization, the animals they can and can't take, and all the things they do to help. 
   
     They gave me a packet so when I start actually doing more work, and helping out more, I can let people that call about a animal know the steps to take and what to do. When I came in on the 16th, I had to take a open book test. It wasn't that fun. It took me about twenty minutes. I guess the test was just a review. After the test, I asked Angela, the person I have been emailing and a volunteer at OHS, what to do next. She told me to follow around another more experienced volunteer to learn how and what to do. There was all girls there that day. Two of them were from Logan, and the other one was a senior at some other place. Me and the two Logan kids were following the senior around and she was just washing one of the doves room. They aren't allowed to keep the animals, but some of them can't go back in the wild, and Poochie, the dove couldn't because she was blind. 

     After being a shadow, Angela asked us to clean the fledgling birds cage. They were orphaned. After that, Angela was going to feed the squirrels and we all wanted to watch. It was really cool. We fixed the food for two of the younger ones, and Angela took care of the older one. They ate some cranberries, and peanuts with walnuts. They were really cute, but we were told not to get to close with them because they wont be ready for the wild. I guess that's true, but it's harder than it seems. 

     After feeding the squirrels, Angela went to the baby opossums heated cage thing. They were waaay cute. I know, I didnt think they could be cute either. She fed them milk through a tube thing, and she went drop by drop by drop because they were still so young. While she was feeding them, we were all having a conversation and chilling together and having a good time. 

     I know I didn't do much...again, but next week I can do more since I'm learning and I can help out the wild life. I had a really great time and I wish I was able to do more but I need practice, so by the end of this project I'm sure I will have done a lot and helped and fed a bunch of animals while having a great time.  


4 comments:

Ryan W. said...

It seems like you had a really good time and that even though you may not have done much, you were being prepared for helping out in the future. This is just like how my first volunteering session was like, because it was all about me learning about the organization and what their goal was. Back to what you are doing, I did not realize that you would have had to take a test in order to qualify for the organization. It must take a while to memorize all the different procedures for each of the different animals, especially if you are going to have to explain it to others. I think that you will do very well at this and hopefully your next sessions will be just as successful.

Jennifer M. said...

Helping out with animals is so much fun because it helps the enviornment a lot. All the little animals are cute and innocent and they need us to survive. When I volunteered to help out the senior citizens they were so appreciative of us and thanked us countless times. It was all worth it. Our community needs more volunteers so we can have a better enviornment. I wish more people volunteered because you get such an amazing experience and you make people happy. Animals are so cute and they deserve so help. Good luck on your next volunteering trip.

Kate H. said...

Girl, this is awesome. You getting the courage to get out there and do something is enough. But, you will create relationships with the animals and birds. That's the hardest part for volunteers. When I was helping raise California Quail at Coyote Hills when I was five, I grew very strongly towards the birds. It's nice that they are testing you to see if you have knowledge about the animals and such. You're on the next step to greatness aha. Good luck! But, I don't think you'll need it. :)

*Norma L.* said...

im glad tht you are putting yourself out with animals and trying to help them survive. alot of animals need your help, even though you probrablly didn't do much you are just in training to help the environment in the long run. its nice that youn went from helping in a classroom to helping in the outdoors and preparing the animals to go back. in both situations you are helping out innocent creatures & kids.