Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tri-City Volunteer #2

After being sent home due to having no jobs available for us last week, John and I decided to return to Tri-City volunteer. Immediately after school, We went directly to the facility in hopes to get our community service hours and a decent job to do. Right when we got into the facility, Bryan Gerges, our "leader" told us to sign this paper that asked for our name, time of arrival, and time of departure. After that we got a neon vest with a tag on it saying "VOLUNTEER" The first couple of minutes was really awkward. Everybody was working except the people I came with. We did not know what to do. Then, I asked some guy who I believed to be one of the directors of the whole thing, If there is anything to do. He just looks at me like I'm and idiot, and tells me he's just a volunteer. So we continued to stand there awkwardly.. Soon after, Bryan, Who has experience from working here prior to the project, Showed us around and told us what to do. We loaded carts with juice, bread, and bags loaded with groceries that were being served to the people who are less fortunate. After doing that for quite a while, We went into a staff break room, And mopped the floor, and cleaned the counter tops. It took us about 15 minutes to complete the whole room. After that we went out into the main facility, and stood there awkwardly again.. Then some guy who was not wearing a safety yellow neon vest told us to grab brooms and sweep the building. John, Bryan and I swept every part of the building. After accomplishing that task, We stood there again waiting to be told what to do. At that point I was extremely bored of doing janitorial work. I see a group of kids out a long table, that had huge bags of potatoes scattered along the table, They were bagging potatoes and throwing them into bins that would be served to the homeless. I joined them and bagged about 20 plastic bags of potatoes. By the time I completed all that, It was time to go. :( I enjoyed my time working at tri city volunteer. Feels good to be doing something for a good cause and helping out people who are less fortunate. I will return next week to Tri-City volunteer and continue serving the community! byebye.

2 comments:

Hossna H. (SuPeRGiRL) said...

Hey! I'm glad you went back to help. When i went to OHS for the first time, I felt the same and then slowly started to help out and follow people around. I'm glad you had a great time helping out the less fortunate. It's awesome that we are all getting out and making a difference in our community. I can see there were some challenges in finding a job and figuring out what to do. At least now that you have had some experience, maybe you can get straight to work next time or even help a lost volunteer too. It is really cool that you could find something to do and had a good time doing it. Hopefully you go back next time and have more fun.

Massee K. said...

It's good that you went back to Tri City instead of giving up and trying somewhere else. Volunteering for the first time is tough, but hey. Everyone starts somewhere. Hopefully you can help out someone else next time so they don't end up like you guys were.