Monday, April 11, 2011

"Potatoes, potatoes. I'm sick of potatoes..."

Once again, I went to the Tri-City Volunteer center except this time I was with Leo Moyrong. Since it was Leo’s first time there, I waited for him to fill out the paperwork first. On our way out to the food pantry, we saw Francis, Zena, and Alencio there. We grabbed some gloves and a bright green vest and headed straight for the stack of potatoes. John, the man in charge, had assigned us to bag the potatoes. From experience, I knew that it would be much easier to run an assembly line. I bagged the potatoes about three-fourths of the way full and then Leo tied it up and threw it in the bin. At first, tying was quite difficult for Leo because of the gloves we had to wear but he caught on quickly and in no time we were working that assembly line! Leo and I worked on it for a while and later, three others joined us. It was a tedious job because grabbing the potatoes was not as easy as you thought it would be! After a little while, my hands started to hurt and sweat in those gloves so I decided to switch them out for sanitary purposes. The whole hour and a half we were bagging potatoes. It was nice to have Leo there to keep me company or else I would have been bored out of my mind. However, I didn’t dread over the job too much because I kept in mind I was giving back to the community. Towards the end, Leo and I rolled out a few carts for some of the people waiting to receive their food. Overall, it was a great experience again. However, if I could choose between bagging onions and bagging potatoes, I would definitely choose the onions because you only need three in a bag and they are much easier to grab!

3 comments:

Lizzy Berg said...

It's nice that you kept in mind that bagging potatoes was a community service task that would be beneficial. It does though sound easy but pointing out the issue with wearing gloves makes me realize it probably was more difficult. The assembly line was a clever idea to get work done quicker and more efficiently. Also it shows team-work. :)

Genesis M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genesis M. said...

I've been going to Tri-City Volunteers for my hours, the first time with you, and it does feel good to know we're giving back to the community. A lot of families can't afford or access the foods we take for granted, like bread, onions or canned foods. You mentioned the man in charge, John, and he's really cool and easy-going. I've been going with Josh and each time we go we just put on our stylish vests and gloves and find stuff to do. Each time we go though, there's more people. Since there's more people, there's a lot more getting done and less to do when we show up in the afternoon. A lot of people in our class are going and CERTAIN TEACHERS WITH BEARDS say we need more variety. We're going to try and look at other places to volunteer, expand our horizons and whatnot.