Monday, April 18, 2011

Reaching For Equity 2

   After a lot of thinking, i finally decided i was going to go to the elderly center again. This place's exact name is Park Central Care & Rehabilitation Center. Unfortunately Chris could not come with me this time because he has to go to last minute work. This time returning to this strangely familiar place was much different. For one, Chris wasn't here and this time a group of teenagers from a local school came along. I felt very lonely. The trip this time wasn't that different from last time besides these things. Mainly i was bothered by the amount of people that were there. As always, the staff of the facility greeted us with bright smiles. We then continued with our daily routine; we sang in the lobby and then proceeded into the individual rooms down the hall. A lot of the faces were very familiar and they too greeted us with big smiles. We sang about two songs for each person, my own singing was drowned out in the huge sea of voices. Soon one of the girls in the group of teenagers played a song on her violin for one of the rooms. She was pretty good. I took one glance at her and realized that she was also disabled. Her right arm was deformed and i felt a sort of pity for her. I decided to shake it off because i was proud of this stranger who had the ability to play this instrument a lot better than i could. I tried not to stare but at the same time i wanted to watch this epic moment. After this miraculous moment, we went to the cafeteria were a nice lady offered me some food. Of course i'm not supposed to eat it so i declined, but i felt sincerely grateful that someone so old still cared about my health.  

6 comments:

Victoria C. said...

It sounds like you had a good time here and its cool that you are volunteering to help out these people. This reminds me of where i volunteered which was the senior senter. I help out with the seniors and stuff. However im glad that jennifer was with me because if i was alone i think i wold feel lonely too and be really bored. What you said about the girl with a disability was really touching. Its amazing at what people can do even when they have these challenges they have to face. Its nice that you help them and make things fun for them, so keep doing what you are doing and hopefully you are having fun.

Kate H. said...

Edwin that is so cool! I remember in elementary school my class went during christmas time. It's nice to see that you are still willing to go even though you felt sort of uncomfortable. Like Britney, Ryan and I we are helping Florence. She is mostly blind and can only see things through her puriferal vision. It's nice to know that everyone is helping to comfort the elderly that don't really have anyone to keep them company. I know they really appreciate it! Keep up the good work!

Hossna H. (SuPeRGiRL) said...

Hey Edwin.
I really like how you decided to help with elderly people. A lot of times they get forgotten and I bet they are really grateful you and some other kids went over to volunteer. The place I volunteer for is also a rehabilitation center, but it's for animals. I can see that some challenges for you is to not accept the food and also being a little lonely. Hopefully the elderly and people their made you feel welcome. They sound like nice people. It's always great to reach out in our community and give a helping hand. Hopefully more people will help out and make a bigger difference.

Sierra B. said...

I think it is really amazing that you helped out the elderly. Even though you couldn't go with your friend and felt a little out of place you still pulled through. It's wonderful that you were really inspired by the girl playing the violin that had a disability. That's also kind of fun that you got to sing to the people on all the rooms, and I'm sure you guys really made the happy.

Angela A said...

Edwin! I thought it was so nice of you singing at the elderly center. Bringing entertainment to those who need it the most in their lives is such a great duty. Sharing the story about the disabled girl was touching; it shows us how anyone can do anything and give back to those in need, just like themselves. The people who worked there sounded nice since they offered you food. It seemed like a really great place to volunteer; I'll consider going there someday.

Joshua C. said...

That is so cool that you got to help out old people. I was trying to work with them at other centers but their was too much paperwork to fill out. They were probably delioghted from hearing your music. Instead of other old people for a change. If I didn't have my posts done I would follow you and do community service there.