Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Getting My Hands Dirty.

After a large struggle of finding a place to volunteer, as well as actually volunteering I finally was able to work.I started off by actually attempting to arrive on time and did so by not going home after school, but arriving straight there. Well I get there with my fellow volunteers and walk in very confused. We make our way over to a worker and he leads us to a sign in sheet, we sign our names and meander over to the work area. We put on our green safety vests, and I waited for some kind of instruction or order on what to do. It didn't come.

I guess we are kind of supposed to find our own work because I started getting strange looks until Bryan led us to a back room. We started hesitantly wiping off counters and ended up mopping floors. Next we swept the entire work room floor and tried to find something else to do. Joaquin began bagging potatoes which left me and Bryan standing awkwardly waiting and watching. Soon a guy singles me out and asks me to "run" a cart.

I had no Idea what he meant. So I asked. Turns out, Bryan knew what to do so he led the way. we took a cart full of food and brought it out to a group of homeless people. I read a name off a sheet of paper and a woman told me that it was her. I followed her to her car and helped her load the food into it. As i was packing it full of cans and bread, I noticed that her whole wardrobe was in the car. She had been living out of it... This really opened my eyes and made me appreciative. Soon afterwards we were finished with our shift so we removed our vests and left the place having an experience not many others can claim they have had. I am proud of what I did and cant wait to do it again.

No comments: