Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gardening at American Day #2


So last Friday I went to American’s gardening club for the second time. Thankfully I didn’t get lost. When I arrived I was tired, sick, and my wrist hurt when I moved it. I noticed that there was a giant black storm cloud hanging right above the garden and no where else. We were still doing the same thing that I had done on my first day there, which was getting rid of all the grass to make room for the garden. To kill the grass we had to lay card bored over it, which blocked out the sunlight and therefore killed the grass. The lady in charge saw that there was a whole bunch of card bored in the schools recycling, and j told us to fish some of it out. I couldn’t tell if it was a joke or not so when people started walking over there I just followed them. We grabbed the card bored that we could reach and flattened it out so that we could use it. Then Michael volunteered to jump inside to get the pieces that we couldn’t reach. We noticed all of the Tyson boxes and started talking about food Inc. After a long time of ripping up the boxes the head lady came over and asked what we were doing. She said that they already had all of the cardboard that they needed, because Cosco had supplied it free of charge. We moved most of the boxes to the gardening area just in case. Then I used the rake to dig up and move a bunch of grass before card bored was placed over it. The work was really tiring and I got dirt all over my hands but I realized that my wrist had stopped hurting. I noticed that there was a big pile of grass behind me so (for the first time in my life) I used an electric grass trimmer. As I cut Michael held the cord and Panda piled up the grass that I had cut. Then a group of other girls would put the piled up grass into buckets and remove it. Once the grass was cleared cardboard was placed over it, then it was hosed down, then soil was placed on top, and then things were planted in it. The grass cuter caused pieces of the grass to fly out in all directions. By the end I was covered in grass and being allergic to it, didn’t help. Then it started to pour down rain so we had to stop using the grass cutter. It was about time to leave anyways. We still needed to flood a tree that we had just planted even though it was raining, so I got a hose and started to fill buckets of water. The hose ran over my head and there was a leak in it. The water was freezing cold. By the end my hands had gone completely numb, I was wet, I was dirty but somehow I felt a lot better.

No comments: