Sunday, April 3, 2011

Onions and Potatoes!

On Wednesday, March 30th, Brooke and I met up with Josh and Genesis to volunteer at the Tri-City volunteer center. There was a thrift store and a food pantry, but it was part of the same organization. We walked in after school at about a little before three o’clock. On our way in, we bumped into Ms. Norma Lopez. Brooke and I were led into a little conference room and we were given three pieces of paper to sign. Josh and Genesis came in after us. After that, we were assigned to work at the food pantry and Josh and Genesis were assigned to wash windows. We were led into the food pantry and were told to log in on a piece of paper. We were given a bright yellowish/greenish vest with a volunteer badge. We were told to bag onions, three onions each bag. To make things more efficient, me and Brooke decided to run an assembly-line type thing so I put the onions in the bags and she would tie them and throw them in the bins. When we were all done with the onions, Brooke went into the office for a bit to do office work and Genesis and Josh joined me and Norma in bagging potatoes next. When Brooke was done, she came back in and all five of us were working together. We had an assembly line going again! It was a really fun experience. There were about six or seven other volunteers aside from us. I had a lot of fun, especially because I was going with my friends and also because it made me feel good that I was giving back to my community by helping out. The man in charge was named John, he was very nice, but we didn’t talk much since he was quite busy. While bagging the potatoes we were blasting music and singing and dancing to it. We made the best experience out of it and I wouldn’t mind going there whenever I could. The only thing was that the food pantry closed kind of early so we could only stay for a max of an hour and a half. I think I will be coming back here. I really liked it especially because you can just come and volunteer whenever. Overall, I loved this experience and will be coming back soon!

No comments: