Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tutoring

Ok, so for this post I decided to continue volunteering at the district. Only this time I was asked to become a volunteer tutor for kids in elementary school. I said yes and volunteered on April 11, 20011. The tutoring was held in the back of the adult school. There I met a little kid by the name Guillermo. I was asked if I could be his tutor, I said yes. It was an hour and half of tutoring and during that time I helped him with his homework. It was a rewarding experience for me to be able to help out someone in need. It got me to think about how me helping him is going to affect him later on life. What I really like is that how this little kid came to get tutored of his own free will; his parents or teachers dint force to be there.
                It was awesome and I’m going back to help more little kids with their homework or whatever they need help with because students like Guillermo improve through tutoring. Being able to give this kind of help is awesome because one will feel happy after because when they noticed what they have done is going to make a little kids life a little easier.
                                 Help out kids who are willing and are asking for help.                                                                 Become a tutor. =)


     

4 comments:

Erica Moen said...

When i went on my volunteer trip at the Zimbabwae fair I was dressed up as a giraffe and tons of little kids came with me to take a picture. It was so adorable. I got to see there faces light up and I imagine you had the same experience. At mine it was hard to run around the track. For you I imagine it was hard for you to explain in a way that the kid would understand you. This was a good experience for me and it sounds like it was a good thing for you. The fact of a little kid looking for help is insperational to our futures and Guillermo. If this continues maybe we can increase education in California to how it used to be.

Jennifer M. said...

Working with little kids is so much fun. All their little smiles and laughter make me feel proud to help out whenever I get a chance to participate. Even though in my volunteering trip I helped out senior citizens, they are kind of the same in their reaction.They all appreciate us helping out and contributing to the society. The seniors looked so proud of us and said that they do not get many volunteers that come and help out. So I felt good inside and I hope I get to help them out again soon.

Genesis M. said...

Your volunteering reminded me of a while ago when I helped a family friend's daughter with her reading. She was 8 years old and really smart but couldn't understand English very well. I helped her out for a couple weeks and I got to see how much she improved over that time. Her mom told me she was doing a lot better with her reading and math and it felt good knowing I was a part of it. You're right it's rewarding knowing that by spending even just a little time with someone like Itzel or your student, Guillermo, you're really making a difference. It really does affect them later on in life when they're able to understand what they're doing in school. I think if more people our age and older helped out younger students it would make a big impact. For my volunteering, I've been going to Tri-City Volunteers but it hasn't been working out and I think I'll look into helping little kids for my remaining hours.

*Norma L.* said...

you tutoring reminded me, of when i use to get tutored after school in my elementary school (parkmont). im glad you gave up some of your time to help out a child with his school work. you're also right " helping him is going to affect him later on life", that is very true. im sure you were a great tutore and that in what ever subject you helped him in, that he is improving and all thanks to you. you should be proud of yourself for having some kind of influnce on Guillermo. its always nice working with kids.