Monday, April 4, 2011

Sweeping and Bagging

On April 1st I gathered with a small group of some of my Freshmen friends to come with me to Tri-City Volunteer Center. When we got there we asked to volunteer and right away we started to fill out three papers for our information. As soon as we got done with the papers we signed in and got to work. I really didn't really know what was ahead of me but I knew it wasn't going to be anything that hard. As I looking around for one of the advisors to tell me what to do I saw Patricia and Angela bagging cookies. As I was waving I heard some Yell "Aye! You!" I looked to who was shouting and it was a middle aged man with two brooms and a dustpan. I saw what was coming. As he was handing me one of the brooms and the dustpan he said to me and one of my friends to sweep up anything we see on the floor and throw it in any trash bin. My friend and I swept for 20 minutes, we cleaned up almost all the small crumbs and dust on the floor. Since there wasn't anything else to sweep up I asked if I could bag onions because I saw that my friends were. He agreed and I started bagging Onions.
They had us put 3 to 5 onions in a bag, tie them and put them in a big barrel behind us. Bag after bag and onion after onion we managed to bag about 5 or 6 huge sacks of onions by the time we had to leave. Even though it sounded like I didn't have fun, I actually did. Dancing and singing to the radio, talking and laughing with my friends made my whole time there easy. I knew this volunteering was going to be fun, easy, and helpful for the needy.

No comments: