Monday, April 11, 2011

Back at the Senior Center

So this time we didnt do much. It was all pretty much the same thing as last time. The only thing different was that we got to help serve some dishes at their International Food Festival. It was cool though, with all the dishes that were made. Deborah Lay, the person who told us what to do, said we came just in time for the festival. There were over 140 people that went to this festival which was shocking to me. I was wondering how they all knew about the event since it was just at the Senior Center. It was kind of crowded too since the Senior Center isnt that big. Once again, all the ladies were so excited to see me and Jennifer their helping them out. After we served everyone and they left we had to take down the decorations. There were so many things on the walls. It was also kind of a long job since we had to take them down and take off the tape from the back so they could reuse them. I took the stuff off that was lower to the ground and Jennifer got the stuff that was high because well, she's taller. She still had to use a ladder though. While we were taking things down I was seeing a lot of nice paintings. They were so good i was jealous. (Sorta but not really) I always wish that i could paint, and these old ladies had talent! I said they were really good but they just stared at me. They were asian ladies but i dont think they really understood me so i just smiled and they smiled back. It was all good in the end. I also asked Jennifer if she could paint like that and she said if she took her time. Pshh thats like doodling to her! When that was done Deborah had us alphabetize their library. This was really boring. The books were old too so they made me want to sneeze. Its okay though because i like the smell of books, but thats maybe just me. This took up the rest off our time since their were a lot of books. There's not much to say about this part because we were just, you know. So I guess I'll just move on. Next time we're going to try and find some other place that has more to do and something different. There is not much to say about always cleaning tables and putting things away. It also seems like when we go there they dont really know what we should do. So yeah, next time we're going to go somewhere else, maybe with kids. Hopefully next time will be funner and a more exciting volunteer experience.

No comments: