Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Loud Sounds Everywhere

At first, I had no idea what to do for my community service hours. After looking through some sites, it hit me that I was already doing it since my dad wanted me to finish all my hours this year for some reason. I was volunteering with the Furry Friends rescue, so I decided to just do that for now. Seeing as this was a weekly occurrence, I already knew what to expect. I got dropped off at Pet Food Express, while it was raining by the way, and we had to set up open cages that we would sit in, which only took about 5 minutes. Then I had to wait for half an hour for the foster homes to bring the dogs that we would have to sit with. When they started arriving, I was being held off and the other volunteers were getting them first. At first I got excited because I thought I could leave when no more dogs came. But apparently, there was one and there was a reason why I didn't sit with any of the small ones. No, I had to sit with Ziggy, the big Kelpie German Sheppard mix. Apparently none of the other volunteers were strong enough to handle him. For the first half an hour, it was pretty calm other than him constantly licking my face. But when people started to walk by and admire him, I found out why I had to handle him. He was constantly jumping at the sides of the cage to try and play with them or something, and I had to stop him from doing so. But the worst part was when another dog would walk by. Ziggy has what I like to call a megaphone bark, since it's really, really loud. This went on for an hour or two before I managed to calm him down. At this point it was much more quite since he would do anything anymore other than try and play with me. After all of this was done, which took about 3 hours, his foster home came and took him. At this point, I just helped cleaned up and went to Chipotle since we didn't get a break in that 3 hour period and my stomach was killing me. Overall, it was a slightly enjoyable experience and maybe I could have chose something better, but since I like animals and I had to commit to do atleast 7 of these showcases, i'll probably stick with it rather than look for something else.

1 comment:

Patricia D said...

I never would've imagined that you had interest in taking care of animals but after reading this post, I could tell that you love them! It's refreshing to know that there are volunteers out there like you that keep these animals company even for just a brief amount of time. Although you had some troubles with Ziggy, it seemed like it wasn't a bad experience. You were able to handle his "megaphone bark" and his constant act of licking you (haha). I would definitely want to try and volunteer at places like Furry Friends because of my absolute love for animals. Overall, it seemed like you had a good time. Good job Massee!