Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Elderly Help

I was very confused on what i should do for this project. I thought "oh shoot, can't think of anything". I then decided to ask my mom for some help and she told me i could go with her to sing to the elderly at a local nursing home. We drove to Christopher Ho's house (he was coming with me) and picked up. Soon after we drove to the nursing home. We met up with the other people in my mom's volunteering group. They were called the Tzu Chi Buddhist Foundation and they did a number of things such as collecting money for Japan and singing to the elderly. Chris and I both received vests with their logo embedded on it to wear. Soon after we walked through the doors of the nursing home. Once i entered, i could smell almost nothing. The air was very fresh. The nurses, prepared for our arrival, instructed us to wash our hands so we didn't bring in any unwanted germs in. The other volunteers began to interact with the elderly sitting in the lobby. Soon after, another volunteer plugged in his CD player and started playing the tune of a song. Many people started singing while Chris and I kind of stood their awkwardly. I noticed that the faces of the people listening lighted up and it made me feel good inside to know that they were happy we were here. After singing in the lobby, we took a left turn down the hallway and started visiting individual rooms. My mom told us stories of the people in each room. We sang whatever song the people wanted us to sing. In one room a man named John always requested the same three songs. Further down the hall my mom showed Chris and I an empty room. She then told us about how this room had a person in it just two weeks ago. With a empty face she told us that the occupant of this room had died. It made me very depressed to think that someone with life in them was in this room just two weeks ago. After going through each room, we walked down the hallway on the left to the cafeteria. There we sang to the people eating there food. After that we had finished. We had to wash our hands to get anything off them and then we headed out. As i was giving my vest back to the man that had gave it to me, i couldn't help but smile because i knew i helped contribute to these peoples happiness. Even so, i still don't know if i want to come again.

No comments: