Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Gardening With Cabbage

Finding volunteer hours was more difficult than I expected. I had been searching online but most of them required people 18 or older or they weren’t close by. So I was surprised and happy that Shana and I came across the gardening service. It was exactly 2 hours and was on an easy day to do.
When we first arrived at American, we instantly got lost. We walked around looking for something that resembled an amphitheater but we couldn’t even find the entrance. Luckily we located the office. I warn you, the office is weird. There is something resembling a body cast of a kid in a corner (which would be extremely gross) and a stuffed eagle on the upper wall. This school seemed sort of weird.
We found a way inside, it was locked though but conveniently a guy was right there and opened it for us. We asked around after admiring the insides of the school and were led to the actual garden. We were trying to get used to things and see what was happening. I took a lot of photos but something happened and I lost a lot.
Basically, we tried to figure out which were the weeds in the plant beds and take out grass. Then we laid down cardboard on the ground to prevent weeds from growing and stacked the cardboards down with nails. Also in case, we placed blocks of wood on top to keep the cardboard down. Red lava rocks would later be placed on top.
Afterwards, we got our hours signed-off and left. I didn’t particularly like doing the gardening. I don't like bugs and now I have to wash my shoes. But if you like getting down and dirty, sign up! Shana's post has the website. Here are some badly arranged pictures.


Here's Shana pulling some weeds.

Here is a soon to be path.
They put the cardbard down to prevent weeds and then add the rocks.
I think his is a cabbage.. I think.
              

Weeds!


1 comment:

Patricia D said...

The beginning of your post definitely made me laugh a little because of the way you described American and the office. Even though you and Shana had some troubles finding a place to volunteer at, it's good to know that you guys were patient and were successful at finding a place. Gardening isn't really something that I would want to do for this project but it doesn't seem like it's all that bad. Helping another school and the environment is a great way to start off this project. Good job!