Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Helping the Elderly

When I was assigned this project I wasn't really interested in it or feel like I have the time to do it. I told my partner, Edwin, to look for something that we can do. A few weeks have went by and no response until one day Edwin came up to me and told me that we're going to go and sing for the Elderly on Saturday. The only problem was that I had work on Saturdays. As soon as I got home I got out my list of coworkers and started calling them to sub for me. Like always they make up the lamest excuses just to get out of telling me, no. Luckily someone said yes, then I got ready to help the elderly. On Saturday Edwin came to pick me up and drove me to the nursing home. When we got to the nursing home we met up with the other volunteers. We had to wear uniform to show that we are with the group. When I walked into the building I was surprised that the inside wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be. A nurse came up to us and told us to wash our hands. So we did and after that we all met up in the lobby. I didn't know anyone except for Edwin so I just stood next to him. When we started to sing I then realize that I didn't know any of the songs so I just stood there mumbling to the tune. We then went down a hallway and went into each room. Edwin's mom told us stories about these people. After we finished singing to the individual people we went into cafeteria where we sang for people while they eat, their food does not look appetizing to me. After we finished we had to wash our hand again to get the old people germs off. We then turned in our vest and we went home. It was a nice experience to help random people that I don't know.

No comments: